Friday, January 15, 2010

Who ever said pregnancy isn’t confusing. Didn’t count months by weeks, days by trimesters, and trimesters by lunar months.

And they certainly weren’t talking in pregnancy acronyms.

I will admit to all those pregnant before me, hearing you talk about how many weeks you were pregnant, often confused me. I often have thought “Why do I have to do the math work?” “Why don't you just say how many months pregnant you are?”

Well now that I am pregnant, knowing how many “months along” I am doesn’t seem so simple. Nine months in a pregnancy right? Well, not quite.

It really seems like I get a different answer depending on who I ask, or what website I visit. Some say you’re actually pregnant for 10 months, some say 9, some just tell it as it is... I am going to be slowly baking this little one for a full 280 days (or 40 weeks) - well , that’s if you count from my last LMP (last menstrual period). If you don’t, then it’s about 266 days from conception to birth. You confused yet?

Based on the above, and my certainness (or there lack of) of when my EXACT LMP (last menstrual period) started and stopped... Determines how accurate my doctors EDD is (Estimate Due Date). Whew.

So I have done some investigating... The probable reason pregnant woman (including myself) talk in weeks vs. months is that every month does not have four weeks. This was a big AHA for me. I then reflected on when I used to get paid every two weeks and remembered fondly those months were I actually netted three paychecks instead of two (now I just get paid on the 15th and 30th)... So it all started to make a bit more sense. Not all months are created the same. But what’s the difference? Why does it matter? Why can’t for simplicity and conversational sake I just round up?

I am meeting my obstetrician for the first time today, maybe she can shed some light or rather, some concrete dates on my pregnancy.

Until then, I will maintain that I am 15 weeks, give or take a few days pregnant, and this bambino is due SOMETIME in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment