Thursday, September 16, 2010

Mom to Mom

Despite us being all a bit under the weather, I ventured out this week to my very first mom's group. I will be honest, I wasn't sure if I was going to go right up until I went. I don't know why, but I was nervous. Nervous that I wouldn't like it, nervous that I wouldn't fit in, nervous that I would have nothing to share, and nervous that all the moms would be different from me and be the "I love absolutely everything about being a new mom, and my baby is so perfect and gifted, and everything is so AMAZING, and breastfeeding is so special and such a bonding experience and I had a total zen and natural birth" type of mom. Believe me, they are out there. I have met them, and they scare me.  Anyway off we went, sniffles and all, and I have to tell you... I LOVED every minute of it. I didn't want to leave. I don't know why I was so hesitant. I enjoy talking to my mom girlfriends so much about all that is new to life with a baby, why would these women be any different?

So, there are 16 of us in my group and yesterday we spent two hours sharing a little bit about ourselves, our baby, our birthing story, and some of the most rewarding and challenging things about being new moms/parents.  All I can tell you is how amazing, rewarding, relieving and helpful mom to mom talk can be.  As each woman spoke of their birthing story, their eyes welled with tears, everyone had a story. It really is a right of passage of sorts...knowing what you thought you knew about parenting or being a mom or birthing a baby but realize actually you didn't know it at all, after your baby arrives. Unexpected complications, emergency c-sections, breach babies, water/home birth plans gone awry, babies with colic, babies that don't sleep, babies that will only sleep ON their mom, premature complications, and EVERY SINGLE ONE OF US had breastfeeding challenges.  And the other most refreshing thing I heard was each one of us is struggling to redefine who we are now that we are moms.   We made a list as a group of things we want to talk about over our 6 weeks together and also things we would like to do with our babies. The time is sort of divided in half... half spent on a discussion we're all interested in, and the other spent learning new games/songs/activities to do with our babies. So fun.

Anyway, today I just feel fortunate. Fortunate to live in a city where there are so many resources for moms and also fortunate that I have a baby that talked himself to sleep in his crib just a short hour ago. It made me love him just that much more today. :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment