Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Never a dull moment

As Peter and I drove home from work the other night and chattered away about all the things on the agenda for the week, he looked at me with a smirk I know and love and said “do you think once the baby comes, and we’re settled in our new house and everything is calm, we will be bored?”.   I laughed out loud, but one would wonder.  Well in fact we have started to wonder... Both things; if life will ever seem calm again with a newborn to care for, and also if we’re not moving at lightening speed doing something, if we will indeed be bored.

Peter and I have been on quite the ride.  Since the summer of 2008 we have accomplished what most (sane) couples do over years. And years. And Years.  First dates, first vacations, first apartment together, first engagements, wedding planning, the wedding, the honeymoon, pregnancy SURPRISE, first time house hunting, our first home, planning our first renovations and... Still to come... Our first born.  Oh... And throw in some new jobs, a temporary move to a new city, and a partridge in a pear tree.

We’ve been unstoppable.

And we're crazy.

Well, I am crazy. And Peter loves me.

And no time to slow down now! We have a lot to do. A lot. I have two lists. One work related as I plan for my departure here (HORRAY), and one personal related. The personal list is 5 pages long. The work one is not. When did my life all of the sudden become busier than my job?  In 2008 that’s when. When all my priorities changed. When building a life with the man I fell so quickly in love with became more important than everything else.  Sometimes I think Peter still doesn’t realize what hit him. Lol.

So as we furiously plan the renovation, the repair, the décor, and the moving details of getting ourselves into our new home, and prepared for the arrival of our little guy (who coincidently we have as of this week started to refer to BY NAME)... I can’t help but be of the delusion that life can’t possibly be busier with a new born than what we have already experienced over the last two years and in particular what we’re facing in the next 6 weeks.  Am I right?  Being on mat leave will be like a vacation compared to all this?

Here’s hoping.

So here is the super exciting news (besides the visit to our new house last night to confirm we don’t have buyers remorse and DO indeed love the place)! Peter’s family has graciously offered to have a SHAUGHNESSY SHIVAREE to help us prepare. For those of you who don’t know what that is (I didn’t), it’s the most wonderful offer I think I have ever in my life been given. Basically what happens is we create a list of TO DO’s, like painting rooms/doors/decks, fixing holes in the wall, cleaning carpets, hanging light fixtures, hanging blinds and curtains, weeding gardens, planting flowers, making pillows etc etc. and a huge group of family and friends comes to help. They come to help for one weekend or whatever time they can spare... We supply the beer and bbq and they collectively work their way through our list. Could you imagine anything more wonderful?  Peter’s uncle Steven and Jules suggested this when we saw the Shaughnessy clan on the weekend and I think Peter and I almost cried in unison.  Could you imagine?  It’s apparently something they have done in their family over time. We have already started our TO DO list and with me at 7 months pregnant when we close, and 8 months pregnant when we move, this stuff would take us YEARS.  Anyway, we’re excited and feel so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends.  It looks like it’s going to be May 22nd.  I am hoping we can get some Raycroft’s and Bryne’s down as well... And some of our Toronto friends to join us too. Like the really talented Cedar Nisbet, and Seth Richards. As an example of course.  SO MARK YOUR CALENDARS!!! PLEASEEEEEEEE

We have 12 weeks to go.  The first picture you will see of the three of us together, we will be lounging.

Bored out of our minds I am sure. :)

3 comments:

  1. ...we can share it anyway you like....xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. That picture makes me so happy for the two of you! It is the perfect home. Congratulations again! And what a wonderful offer indeed... what would we do without of families?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could help with your renos - I really love doing that stuff! What an exciting time this is going to be for you, Peter and your wee one. I hope I get to see you soon ... ;-) Much love;
    Brookes

    ReplyDelete