Sunday, March 4, 2012

Two Epic

Wow, have we had a crazy week or two.  There is absolutely no doubt about it... we have hit the terrible two's in EPIC fashion.  My sweet sweet happy boy, has been nothing short of a total nightmare this last couple of weeks.  Some days it really has been a toss up who has cried harder.

Remember this happy baby?



Well, let me introduce you to my not so happy toddler on the block.


We've so far had four MAJOR tantrums in our house.  The catalyst has been anything from not wanting to wear his mittens while outside, to demanding he get to eat a popsicle for dinner.  If they didn't immediately send me into a panic attack of my own, I would video tape this ridiculousness so if you haven't had children, you can think twice about it. Kidding.  But OH MY GOD.

Rory is definitely going through a major phase of something. He hasn't been sleeping (waking for hours at night, not napping well or for the very first time last week - at all, during the day) and barely eating anything.  Honestly, on Friday I was so beside myself at what was happening with him that I was googling depression in children. Has this move totally ruined my happy child?  Will he ever sleep through the night again?  Will these tantrums ever stop?  Am I possibly going to have a heart attack before I have this baby?

On Friday I actually did things to TRY and make myself go into early labour because I convinced myself it would be easier to have a newborn at home and deal with this (because Peter would be taking time off), than being here alone with Rory. Sad but true.

So... what to do, what to do?  This is VERY much uncharted territory for us.  Rory has NEVER been a difficult baby or child.  But these days, he's writing the book on it.

Peter and I decided to take a major time out this weekend and probably will try to stick to something similar until this new baby arrives. And... knock on wood... so far it has helped. Rory slept through the night last night for the first time in what seems like MONTHS.  Basically, we're trying to limit the stuff I normally schedule into our  lives to the bare minimum, get Rory fresh air and playtime everyday, and selfishly are only doing things that fit into Rory's schedule. Without compromise. We have to get him back to some sort of new normal. Oh... and we've cut all sugar completely out of his diet with the exception of some healthy home-made muffins I am making now.   If the last 24 hours counts, it just might be helping.

I am also going to read this book. Happiest Toddler on the Block, which is basically the sequel to Dr. Karp's Happiest Baby on the Block.

On Friday I took Rory to Fulton's Sugar Shack and pulled him in a sleigh down one of the trails until I realized we were pretty far out into the bush on an un-groomed trail alone for 36 weeks pregnant. (see above where I tell you I did things to cause labour). With that said, the pancakes were super yummy... and since we were pretty much the only people there, Rory got a lot of one on one attention from the staff.

Who... also thought I was insane. And considering how little sleep I've had lately, that isn't far from the truth.





No comments:

Post a Comment